First Post! - Posted by Steve Mount
On some sites, having the first post is a race ... but not this time. The first post is just the beginning of what is hopefully a long process where we all, all of us who are Mounts or who are descended from Mounts, get to know each other better as we share our stories and thoughts.
I personally would like to thank Shirley, my grandmother, for being a touchstone around whom we all revolved to varying degrees. Because of her, the whole idea for this place materialized. Thanks to my aunt, Shirley's daughter-in-law, Marilyn, the ball got rolling.
The only thing we need now, aside from some posts, is a name. Go to http://www.saltyrain.com/mount/ to vote for any of the (literally) dozens of suggestions that have come up so far. Vote for as many as you like, but only vote once. The top vote getters will move on to the next round until we choose the most popular.
Another idea, floated by family web host Robert, was to put all this stuff on its own server under its own domain name. I'd like to see how this goes first, and take a look at different options while people bang away here. There can be down sides to having someone else host your stuff, so it could be a very good idea, but people seem anxious, so I was urged to move quickly, catch the spirit while it is hot.
So this first post is done. I have to now figure out how to add a whole lot of other users so that any of us can enter new posts. If you're a Mount that I missed or don't know about at all, let me know, and I'll add you in.
I personally would like to thank Shirley, my grandmother, for being a touchstone around whom we all revolved to varying degrees. Because of her, the whole idea for this place materialized. Thanks to my aunt, Shirley's daughter-in-law, Marilyn, the ball got rolling.
The only thing we need now, aside from some posts, is a name. Go to http://www.saltyrain.com/mount/ to vote for any of the (literally) dozens of suggestions that have come up so far. Vote for as many as you like, but only vote once. The top vote getters will move on to the next round until we choose the most popular.
Another idea, floated by family web host Robert, was to put all this stuff on its own server under its own domain name. I'd like to see how this goes first, and take a look at different options while people bang away here. There can be down sides to having someone else host your stuff, so it could be a very good idea, but people seem anxious, so I was urged to move quickly, catch the spirit while it is hot.
So this first post is done. I have to now figure out how to add a whole lot of other users so that any of us can enter new posts. If you're a Mount that I missed or don't know about at all, let me know, and I'll add you in.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home