Trip to Maine - Posted by Steve Mount
We made the trek up from Williston to Bangor, ME, this weekend. Bangor, home of Stephen King, as Kristin pointed out... and if you look at a map it is more of a "trek over" than a "trek up". But there is no high-speed road from Williston to Bangor. The straightest route is slow, over several state and local roads. Instead, we headed way south, to Concord and Manchester, NH, and then up on 95 to Bangor. It was further, but about the same amount of time, as far as MapQuest is concerned, but MapQuest does not know that 50 on a local road really means 50 and 65 on an interstate really means 75, so I think we ended up taking a lot less time. Plus, with less accellerating, I'm telling myself I got better gas mileage going the long way.
The point of the trek was to drop Brittany off for Whale Camp. It was a teary time for Karen - we've sent Brittany off for single weeks at a time, and even once for three single weeks in a row, but we got to see her in between. So this was a first for all of us. Brittany was a little anxious, both because she really wanted to go and because she did not know what to expect. We were hoping to hear from her on the phone by last night, but we never did. They were probably all too busy and then too tired to call. But we heard via email from the camp staff that she's doing just fine.
On the way back from Bangor, we stopped in Kittery and Concord to do some shopping. I picked up a few shirts at the Gap for a few bucks each. When I put one on this morning, it was oddly tight - and I realized that though I got the right size, I got "Athletic Fit" which basically means it has no bagginess to hide ... anything. Everybit of gut shows right though. Which is great if you have a six-pack, but not so great if you've got ... um, how to put it ... cookie belly. Well, if I want to wear them, I guess I have to work my abs at the gym, and not just do cardio. Sigh.
The boys are in Camp Paw Paw this week, a half-day camp where they get to work with an animal from the Humane Society, learning how to care for animals and trying to get their "partner" adopted into a good home. I'll report later on on what kinds of pets they each selected.
We heard about the triple-digit temperatures in California... we're a nice 82 here today, so if anyone wants to come visit, come on over and buy some honey and maple syrup and enjoy a dip in the Lake!
The point of the trek was to drop Brittany off for Whale Camp. It was a teary time for Karen - we've sent Brittany off for single weeks at a time, and even once for three single weeks in a row, but we got to see her in between. So this was a first for all of us. Brittany was a little anxious, both because she really wanted to go and because she did not know what to expect. We were hoping to hear from her on the phone by last night, but we never did. They were probably all too busy and then too tired to call. But we heard via email from the camp staff that she's doing just fine.
On the way back from Bangor, we stopped in Kittery and Concord to do some shopping. I picked up a few shirts at the Gap for a few bucks each. When I put one on this morning, it was oddly tight - and I realized that though I got the right size, I got "Athletic Fit" which basically means it has no bagginess to hide ... anything. Everybit of gut shows right though. Which is great if you have a six-pack, but not so great if you've got ... um, how to put it ... cookie belly. Well, if I want to wear them, I guess I have to work my abs at the gym, and not just do cardio. Sigh.
The boys are in Camp Paw Paw this week, a half-day camp where they get to work with an animal from the Humane Society, learning how to care for animals and trying to get their "partner" adopted into a good home. I'll report later on on what kinds of pets they each selected.
We heard about the triple-digit temperatures in California... we're a nice 82 here today, so if anyone wants to come visit, come on over and buy some honey and maple syrup and enjoy a dip in the Lake!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home