My Hectic Life - Posted by Kari
So here I am, back in VT with the weather changing slowly but surely. My fingers are icy as I type, which I am getting used to. I began school weeks before the official begin date, and my advisor, Susan, and I began working on a project right away-- I will be presenting a poster at the Occasional Temperament Conference at Brown University in two weeks on the predictability of anger at 2 1/2 based on observations made at 6 months (what?!?! I know, it's complex stuff for non-psychology-minded folk). I am very excited. As far as classes go, I have about 80 pages per wk per class (5 classes), and I'm sure Michael can commisserate on this: it's DENSE reading. Statistics is the hardest course I am taking-- my mind just wasn't set up for math... I am teaching 2 sections of Psych 101 to undergrads, which is paying my stipend and tuition (can't complain there!), and is pretty fun. There are 320 students in my two sections, so I see a little bit of everything in them. They keep me on my toes! I am walking to school every day, which is really nice to be able to do after all the driving I did in CA! And Nick is doing well, working at a temp job (through Westaff, of course) and has a couple permanent job prospects he's been interviewing for this week. So, things are going well here in my little corner of the world! Busy busy, but nonetheless, I am so happy to be back where I get to see my little nieces and nephews more regularly and, oddly, glad to be back in school, where I belong! THIS is why I want to be a professor: I love this life!

3 Comments:
Guess they never taught you how to make a new paragraph at that fancy school of yours.
By
Rob, at 7:05 PM
I took the paragraph class twice, BTW.
I loved teaching. If I hadn't had a "real" job, I would have kept doing it. Do you have to come up with your own tests/exams? Grading work where answers were not T/F or A/B/C/D were hard. It must be worse where an answer could be an opinion or interepretation.
I might want to come audit your class. I never took Psych at UVM, but always thought about it. I might get really lost at a 101-level, though.
By
Steve Mount, at 6:55 AM
My computer (blogger.com??) would NOT let me make a new paragraph! I was going to talk about something else, too, but it was totally unrelated, and since I couldn't get a new P, I said screw it...
(clearly, it works now...) Since I am teaching Psych 1 (the basics), we use multiple choice tests, and have Scantron do our grading. Many of the questions I was able to reuse from years past, but there are a few new chapters in the textbook this year, so I did those.
Come check it out, Steve! I keep trying to get Rick to take it, but he says he'd never show up and if I didn't give him an A anyway, he'd never talk to me again... so yeah. Nevermind on that one.
By
Kari, at 7:20 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home