House of Mounts

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wet, wet New England - Posted by Steve Mount

Yes, it is very, very, very wet here right now. We're used to having a mud season, but it is usually done by now. On Tuesday, I could not stand it any longer and rode my scooter to work, and lucked out in that it was only sprinkling on the way home, so I was damp at worst. I got the bike inspected that day, too, finally. I went on Monday and they rejected my DMV paperwork - someone at the DMV had neglected to stamp the paper and they said it was invalid. Fortunately, I was able to zip over to the DMV and get that all fixed. I'm now perfectly legal to be on the road. My only remaining step is to take the skills test to get my full motorcycle endorsement.

When I got it inspected, the technician noted my handlebars were loose, so I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get off the plastic housing to gain access to the bolt. A few quick turns later, it was nice and tight. I emailed the scooter company and told them that checking that bolt should be on their list of 100-mile maintenance items, along with checking the brake fluid and oil. Still waiting on the part that was originally damaged - this is a new scooter to this company and their parts supply is still catching up to them. I've been promised this week, but we'll see.

Aside from the rain, it has been one crazy week. Last Wednesday I had an FAP meeting (FAP is our town's acronym for PTO or PTA in other towns) on Wednesday night, I ran a concession stand at a track meet on Thursday night (and Brittany ran track, see photo below), we got ready for the party on Friday, had the First Communion and party on Saturday, and had Mother's Day on Sunday. We went to a late brunch at a place Karen and I haven't been in a long time (and the memories of the place are better than the place actually is, it turns out). After that, we took the kids to see Hoot. Yesterday was another busy night, with track and Brittany's Spring Concert to fill the evening. Tonight we had Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and an Art Show at the elementary school. Tomorrow is a literature presentation at the elementary school and I think more track. I was scheduled to give blood, but I'm going to push it off a week. Friday we will finally get a chance to breathe. Brittany and Pam are going out for dinner and a movie, a girls' night out.

Speaking of Pam, it has been great having her here. She was at the party, of course, and we went up to Alburg to visit with her that night, too. I hope she does not get the wrong impression about this area - really, this rain is unusual. Fortunately, we're in Vermont, and not Massachusetts or New Hampshire, where there has been some widespread flooding.

If you're curious about our little town, I try to maintain a page about Williston here. On the subject of web sites, here is the one for WestaffVT, the local Mount business center. The site is about to undergo a redesign which you can preview at either the WestaffNH or WestaffNY sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home